Here are some pre-course tasks which may help with setting up;
- It’s advised to have a HepB immunisation. If your GP cannot do this perhaps try a local GUM department or travel clinic.
- Ensure your eyesight is really good – ie can you easily see tothread a needle? If you can’t – get your eyes check and get appropriate sight aid.
- Bring a camera/phone which can take photos with detail – we need to be able to see clear detailed close ups
- Find out what the registration requirement is for tattoo treatments in your area – contact local council’s environment health department
- Collect photos of people’s faces/heads from magazines and online to help you with your designs, colouring etc
- Research venues
- Find people who would like to be your first case studies/clients
- Take an online test in Tattoo Infection Control. For Example http://wwww.proinfectioncontrol.co.uk/en/info/show_course/85-tattoo-infection-control
Business Planning; If setting up a new business there’s a lot of information on www.gov.uk in the business and self-employed section. Check out ‘setting up’, ‘write a business plan’ and download the ‘business plan template’.
Advertising; The very best advertising is by word of mouth and recommendations. I have also found business pages on social media & Google/Bing etc. very useful. Advertising on social media can be very successful and cost effective. You can target in your location. Papers/Local Magazines can be useful for a few months but are much higher in cost.
Records Keeping; Self-Employment Tax Returns
Sort out: Registration; Waste Collection/Sharp Collection Contract.
Sources for Equipment and Studio Supplies;
- Team Micro – SMP PMU Supplies
- Barber DTS – tattoo supplies, SPMU pigments Killer Ink – tattoo supplies, studio supplies
- Local Shops – cling film/plastic wrap, cotton buds, plastic cups, eyebrow makeup pencils for drawing.
- Lorraine Connolly (Trainer) – inks and supplies, needles Salon Sally/Salon Services – couch roll
- Ebay and similar online – practice skin, colour wheel, some studio supplies/consumables. Ensure that anything from Ebay is of the same quality as the tattoo suppliers.
Basic Equipment List;
- Machine and Handpiece
- Needle cartridges,
- specialist ink/pigment,
- cling film,
- plastic wrap,
- cotton buds,
- plastic cups,
- eyebrow makeup pencils,
- couch roll,
- waterproof couch roll,
- paper towel roll,
- sterile swabs,
- distilled water,
- saline solution,
- bin bags,
- pigment cups and cup holder,
- plastic cord wrap,
- plastic barrier film,
- facemasks and aprons (if required),
- tattooing gloves,
- medical grade wipes (e.g. Distel) and spray,
- anti-bacterial hand wash,
- patch testing kits (if required) with cosmetic tattooing,
- antiseptic wipes,
- small lancets,
- aftercare kits (if required) with aftercare cream,
- calipers for drawing